Home > Answers > Read Answer


I’m confused about following two cities that which one is my watan-e-asli or both are my watan-e-asli. The details relating to each city is listed below: - City A (Native Town): • My parent’s hometown where I was brought up and got education till matriculation. • My parents own their home and other property, some of which is also registered in my name however actual possession remains with them. City B (Work Town): • At a distance greater than 200 Kms from City A. • My work town where I’m employed. However the nature of job is of contract and currently the contract is of 3 years. This is my first job after completing my education. • Currently living with my wife and a child in a rented house and I don’t own any property in this city. Note: Currently I’m not confident whether I would ever be able to return City A, the Native Town, as a permanent resident because I’m computer engineer and there are no job opportunities for me. On the contrary, I’m not sure if I would ever be able to build my own house in City B, the Work Town, because its really a very costly city and after retirement I had to return City A (the NativeTown). The situation has confused me a lot that what should I decide and which one is my watan-e-asli. I had to visit my native town, i.e. City A, regularly after some time because my parents and other relatives including brothers and sisters live there. So I’m really worried about the prayers I offer there. Till now I don’t do Qasr in either city and perform full salat in both cities. Kindly guide me, JazakAllah.

الجواب حامداومصليا
One must understand that it is not necessary for one to own some property in order to consider one place to be the "Watan-e Asli" or permanent residence.
It is enough for one to have a place of resident and intention of lengthy stay in a place to be considered Watan-e Asli.
It appears as if you have no intention of going back to your native town for permanent residence, rather you have chosen other place for work reasons as your town of residence and you are living with your family as well.
In the scenario, your Watan-e Asli is the place where you have taken your residence even if it is for rent, and your native town will not become your Watan-e Asli. Thus, when you visit your parent's house, you will be required to offer Qasar prayer unless your length of stay is 15 days or more, in which case you will be required complete prayer.
And Allah knows best.
Mufti Ikram ul Haq
Darul Ifta of Rhode Island
24 Rabi-ul Thani 1431/ April 09 2010