Home > Answers > Read Answer


Salamu alaikum! I want to ask about marrying a muslim girl who converted to Islam 2 years ago and she frequently goes to mosque etc. I am 26 year old and she is 23 year old female. My parents live in Iraq at the moment but am living in Germany as a medical student. Can I marry her if there is a wali who is the imam of the mosque because her parents dont like Islam.My parents dont know also about it either. So my question is can I marry her even if without parents both sides parent knowing?

الجواب حامداومصليا

If the woman that you wish to marry is an adult woman and she is willing to marry you then you may marry her in presence of Muslim witnesses. The Imam may act as her guardian although it is not necessary for a Wali to give consent for the validity of Nikah of an adult woman. Before you marry her, you must consider that marriage is a serious lifetime commitment and you must do everything in your power to make your marriage successful. At the same time, you should try to reach out to her parents and seek their approval. This as a matter of fact may become the reason for their inclination towards Islam.

And Allah knows best.

Mufti Ikram ul Haq

Fatwa Center of America